Tuesday, July 19, 2011

TimesFaily Strikes Again,…

You know? I thought long ago when the New York Times bought the Times Daily that it just wouldn’t be a good thing…. you know, they are so far away, Yankees, and probably just didn’t really care.

Fast forward to now. The Decatur Daily, owned by the Barrett Shelton family from Decatur purchased the Times Daily a couple of years ago. I thought, ok,… our local paper will be better off owned by a local company. Boy was I wrong. Almost immediately articles from everything to obits and sports and local news was being infiltrated into our local rag. Personally, I don’t care what happens in Morgan County or the city of Moulton. Report our news, this is the Shoals area. If I remember correctly, Decatur isn’t part of the Shoals. Heck, Russellville barely is.

After the buyout, a one, Paul Crawford took charge of the Times Daily. I’m guessing that Scott Morris, the Executive Editor of the TD, answers to this guy. I would hate to work for Paul. I’d probably have to kick his butt after work, then I’d be out of a job. One would think, working with an influx of people, Ole Paul would be a people person. A person who cares about the job his fellow workers do. A person that had people skills. One that was kind to customers. If you think like I do,.. we are both wrong. I really hate being wrong. Paul cares nothing for the customers. Some of these same customers are on the forums that the Times Daily has for those that like to interact with fellow readers. These same forums used to be fairly active and informative. But no longer. The format did change, not for the better but it is still okay. They do not moderate it on a fair basis. Why? My guess is either they don’t know how or just don’t care. My personal vote would be on the latter. Here is a small example of Mr Crawford’s way of dealing with a long time poster…..

 

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: "readers breaking the rules set out in the terms and conditions"
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:28:19 -0500
From:
To: online@timesdaily.com
I have reported several posts in the past few days and have received no response. Per TN Vally Talks...
"About This Community
>From across Florence, Muscle Shoals, and beyond, here is your place to connect with neighbors and share information about your community. Please be courteous and respectful. Avoid expletives, false statements, veiled or overt threats and personal attacks. Stay on topic. These are unmoderated, open forums, but if readers are breaking the rules set out in the terms and conditions, please let us know at online@timesdaily.com."
Here are the threads (of which I know, could be more elsewhere) where _____ is repeatedly personally attacked by Rramnlimnn (aka Buffalo).
http://tnvalleytalks.hoop.la/displayForumTopic/content/225622873807710867/page/1
http://tnvalleytalks.hoop.la/displayForumTopic/content/223793132786520211/page/2
I have always known you to be fair in the past. I certainly hope you are not going to allow this member to do this.
FYI, this began on my small time forum ( http://alabamian.forumotion.com/ ) where Rram/Buff was a member before he left me no choice but to ban him. We warned him and tried to do anything but ban him, but he continued and left us no choice but to stand by the rules and their consequences stated clearly in the rules section of the forum. He then used a proxy server to come back 4 times & those were banned as well. Needless to say, as a result, I am one of his targets now.
I would appreciate your help in this matter.
Thank you so much,
-----------------------------------------------------------

And Crawford’s response,…

On 7/18/2011 11:04 AM, Paul Crawford wrote:
> Dear _____,
>
> I have not taken any action as I feel both sides are at fault. If you would like me to take action, the action I take will be to ban both usernames and IP addresses.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Paul L. Crawford
> Online Manager
> Tennessee Valley Printing Company
> paul.crawford@decaturdaily.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forum members response back to Crawford,….

> Paul L. Crawford
> Online Manager
> Tennessee Valley Printing Company
> paul.crawford@decaturdaily.com
I then sent this in return...
I am at fault? Due to lack of time, I did not log in at TVT for weeks prior to Rram/Buff's filthy remarks about me. Since you took so much time while he slandered me right and left, I did defend myself and much more tactfully than would most.
It's your playground, literally, but I can no longer be a part of your forum. Quite a few who could have contributed intelligently at your forum are no longer participants for the same reason, failure to respond when obvious online troll behavior is allowed to inhibit adult discussion and debate. You just lost one of your oldest members, one who has supported you many times when no one else would.
Thank you for your time,

I didn’t include the forum members screen name for a reason. Mr Crawfords response to the member reporting the violation is a joke.

A nice letter asking for help in a nice polite way. And his response is to ban both? Idiot!

3 comments:

  1. Can Crawford walk and chew 'backy at the same time? I thought I had seen some odd calls from that particular rag, but this one has to be the winner...and not the good kind.

    OB, thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate their comment section!! Now, even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a long time subscriber to the Daily Disappointment. I recently cancelled my subscription,only it took them a couple of months to get it cancelled and stop delivery. I have a story about it, maybe another guest post about it on SS.

    ReplyDelete