Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Bomb That Didn’t Go Off,…

Go with me back to the late 70’s. It all started in 1978. I was dating this girl through high school and after I graduated. We were seriously thinking about plans for our future together. But after finding out that she had been “with” some of my friends, things got, well, not in a good place. We broke up. Then I met someone who would become my future wife and had really forgotten about the girl I had dated in high school. Until she became pregnant. Quickly I started counting the months and it just wasn’t possible that the baby was mine. Simple math I learned in high school did indeed come in handy as my teachers told me it would. Glad I listened. Wish I had listened to other advice, but.
During the whole time I dated my future wife and mother of my children, I was harassed. One our first date, at Burger King, the girl I had dated, ran and jumped onto the hood of my car. The security cop tried to pull her off and finally did. We left. Then her family gets involved later. They couldn’t believe their sweet daughter, cousin, niece, granddaughter would lie about who the father really was. Looking back I can understand that they wanted to believe her even though she was telling a bald face lie.
Time went by and my wedding was quickly approaching. Plans were being made, a dress was bought, tux rented, bridesmaids and best man, groomsmen were chosen. My future wife and I had planned the wedding date 9 months to the day we had first met. The girl I had dated was 7 months pregnant. Let this be a lesson to any young person thinking about having premarital sex. Don’t! In this day and time it is old fashioned I know. Ya know what? It’s ok to be old fashioned. Don’t let peer pressure suck you in. Be yourself and years down the road, you’ll be glad you did. Trust me. I’ve been there, done that and have the t-shirt.
OKay, I’m through preaching now. Back to the story.
On the day of the wedding, we were of course getting ready for the ceremony. I was in a classroom, pacing, waiting, wondering what I was doing here. You know, normal stuff. I look out the window and who do I see? The ex girlfriend, her aunt, cousin and grandmother about to come in. But, we were prepared. Don’t laugh, we had bouncers at the wedding. No alcohol, just bouncers. Okay I said don’t laugh. Anyway, the bouncers, my brother in law, nephews didn’t let them in. All was well. Or so we thought. While the ceremony was being performed, a call was made stating there was a bomb at the church. Okay you’re laughing again. But its true. We had a bomb threat during the wedding. I had no clue what was going on. A Florence police officer tried to stop the wedding but the bouncers once again helped out explaining what had just happened prior.
Upon being announced to the crowd of about 200,… sigh, yes that many got to witness the bomb that didn’t go off, turning around I saw the officer in the foyer and knew something was wrong. After having to evacuate the building and let them search, we then had the reception. That was 32 years ago today on a Friday night. That was the first time I got to see the new hook and ladder truck the Florence Fire Dept was sporting. On a side note, the groomsmen who had put minor explosives under my hood on the motor, removed them.
After we got back from our honeymoon, I received a phone call from the girls dad that I had dated. He called to apologize for his daughters actions. He had finally asked her to fess up, which she did.
So I had a bomb threat at my wedding. Along with bouncers. Embarrassed to say the least. But got two great kids out of the deal. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Glad the bomb didn’t go off.

1 comment:

  1. Abstinence is the best way, but barring that, wear a condom! That story was as funny as Antoine's.

    ReplyDelete