Monday, April 2, 2012

Working For WalMart, True Story,….

I think it is safe to say most of the people that read this blog and know me, know I really don’t like WalMart. Parking is atrocious, so are the check out lines. A friend of mine was at the Florence store recently looking for microwave popcorn. There was none. Zero. An employee did offer to check backstock and did. There was none there either.
I received a message via facebook about a woman’s husband who had worked for WalMart. I asked for permission to blog it and she and her husband granted me permission. Thanks to you both for letting me blog your story. Without further ado,…….
Just thought I'd share a little something with you. I don't know if you recall  (from a forum we went to)  but my husband worked at Wal-Mart back then. And he worked at the Muscle Shoals Walmart up until about a year ago. He was a department manager and did great with the managers who he hired in with, even though he was underpaid and not appreciated. Then when they had management turnover, life became hell for him. He was written up for things that happened when he wasn't there, his help was constantly pulled. I could go on and on. The job went from bad to unbearable. He felt like they were trying to force him to quit. Most likely due to the company decision to combine two departments (frozen and dairy) and they had dept mgrs for both. Also, I believe they may have been talking about phasing out dept mgrs. One needed to be gone, regardless. In the end, they kept hunting for fault and fired him.
He had already applied for a job at Publix when he was fired. After being out of work for about 8 weeks, Publix in Athens called him for an interview. He was upfront about being fired from wm. They don't think too highly of WM's policies. He was hired on part-time but is getting full-time hours. As a part time stocker, he is making more an hour than he did as a dept mgr at wm. He is in line for full time and stands a great chance to move up with Publix and will be transferring to Florence Publix when the time comes. He is a much happier man now! Even though he gets up about 1:30am to get awake and be on the job in Athen's at 4. He is looking at the big picture. With Walmart, there was no 'big picture'.
 
Good luck and look forward to seeing him at the new Florence Publix. And thank you again for letting me share. Here is a link to a video on WalMart

7 comments:

  1. I went to a neighborhood meeting a couple years back and watched a documentary about Wal-mart. It was very enlightening. Personally, I vote with my wallet and am very aware of where I spend my money and the politics of the people that get my money. If you haven't seen the documentary, you should. The link is http://www.walmartmovie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the movie link Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A employee that is not satisfied with the way things that go is in every job that you have. He could not perform to his potential, He complains that its the companies fault, but he cant excepts his own faults so he blambs the company, so typical, disgrunteled employees should take their loses and get another JOB. GOOD LUCK LOSER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm sure what you said, happens, I don't think it happened in this case. And before I called anyone a loser, I'd reread what I wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corey sounds like one of the few that are lucky enough to be able to pick and choose what kind of job he has. Wal-Mart has a responsibity, as a large employer, to treat it's employees better. Corey, you should watch that documentary. You would be surprised how this large corporation treats it's employees. Pray you never have to take a job like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cory sounds like the brother-in-law of a co-worker of mine. He had a wife & 2 kids and triplets on the way. He got mad a his boss and walked out. So the family on both sides landed up paying for their bills, but couldn't keep them from loosing their house. He has a new job now, but my co-worker a divorcee with one child whose ex has stopped paying child support is still paying for their Ford Explorer and the insurance and cell phone service and he hasn't attempted to pay her back. She's had to take loans out to get by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well some cannot simply play nice. Corey won't be posting here anymore.

    ReplyDelete