In Alabama, it is never too early to start thinking about football. College football that is. Again, congrats to the Alabama Crimson Tide for a memorable season. Watching the championship game over and over never gets old. Bama made the Honey Badger look like a possum while going on to win 21-0. Roll Tide Roll!
But that was then and this is now. It is almost time for a new season to begin. Just 8 more Saturdays until we hear those whistles and bands playing. After the SEC dominating the championship games the last few years, that could come to and end this year. The college football world would like nothing less. The SEC wants to continue the dominance.
Here are my preseason picks to start the season. Pre season poll mean absolutely nothing.
1. Southern California,… After spending the past two seasons under the NZAA’s thumb, the Trojans will be able to go to post season. Matt Barkley returns at the QB spot and should lead a talented USC team to possibly the national championship. With a high ranking and a weak schedule they have a shot.
2. LSU,…. After losing 9 starters the Tigers from the Bayou should be able to regroup and win another SEC West title. A QB cost them the national title last year but they bring in another good one in Zach Mettenberger. They still have the Honey Badger on defense and special teams. LSU is hoping the Badger has learned how to defend the fade route.
3. Alabama,…. After winning 2 of the last three national championships, a third might just be out of reach this year. But man howdy it is fun to think about. Don’t look for the let down Bama had in 2010 but,….. Bama lost too much talent last year and the competition has gotten better. On paper Bama should do well. That will rely heavily on the QB, AJ McCarron and if he stays healthy. He does not have a proven back up. The front line will be one of the best in college and will help the running game. If McCarron goes down and Bama has to play a back up,… they will quickly become a one dimensional team.
4. Oklahoma,… The Sooners return their QB in Landry Jones and lose very little on either side of the ball. They should be much improved from last year and could run the tables this year. But if they fall short,… if I were a Sooner fan, I’d be asking some questions.
5. Oregon,…. The Ducks have won 12 games each the past two seasons and could do that again. Darron Thomas returns at the QB spot and should provide much needed leadership on offense. The defense will give up some points but in PAC10 ball,… they think offense wins championships. Go figure.