Monday, November 12, 2012

Florence Harbor Marina,……

Back to Grand Rivers, Mississippi from Chattanooga 003

Taleia Man has left a new comment on your post "Come On,……… DICK!!":
There may be a long term contract but I am sure there is a clause concerning their (her) ability to provide basic boater services. How often were boaters left waiting or stranded at the fuel dock with no attendant to sell fuel during regular business hours in the summer ? Ms. Skull will tell you whatever you want to hear to serve her needs. Bad Karma always comes back to haunt you. More recently a group of loopers (boaters who travel the waterways) arrived for their annual trip and were told the Barge Inn had "gone broke", then more bad news they found out that the courtesy van (usually an older vehicle that is provided for the use of travelling boaters to get groceries or visit nearby restaurants) wasn't available ( insurance cancelled- non payment). I could go on and on . . . . . I have been self employed for over 40 years in the hospitality business, and a boater almost as long. Never have seen such incompetence. City of Florence needs to re think their lease with the current operator or insist that they run it with regular hours, and have basic necessities available. The Barge Inn was run professionally and was a fun place to eat drink and enjoy the marina view. A real loss for the city.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a comment left by a reader from the Come On,........ Dick!! blog I did back on Oct 9th. I have no idea who Taleia Man is but he seems to know what he is talking about. I’m glad he took the time to post and also thankful he took the time to explain some boating slang. I had no idea what loopers where. It is apparent he also has had dealings with the woman who operates the marina and I totally agree with his statement. City councilman Dick Jordan never answered the email I sent to him. Maybe he is computer illiterate. Maybe not. It does seem Florence needs to rethink the contract at the harbor and pay close attention to what goes on there.

I did receive two posts from who I thought was the marina operator but I disallowed the posts due to the threatening demeanor of the posts. In hindsight, I should have allowed those to be posts. After doing some research on the harbor I was amazed at how much traffic goes through there. From California to Florida and then some. The marina needs proper management to represent not only Florence but the entire Shoals area.

11 comments:

  1. I thought you worked for the lady painting. Why are you mad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm,.. No. You obviously haven't been keeping up. But thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On second thought yes gaildavis, I am mad. Mad at the way Eva controls the harbor and the city continues to turn their heads. Mad at the way the Barge Inn had to leave because of her. They had a good place to eat and people are now out of work because of her,... hell yeah I'm mad. And I did paint the background for the sign,... I hope the sign rusts down.

      Delete
  3. What has the city got to do with the marina? They own nothing in the water. They own the parking lot and nothing else I've been told by my councilman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The city leases the marina,.... the restaurant is part of the marina. Who is your councilman? Because he surely has no clue what he is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dick Jordon is my councilman and the city only leases the water. The city does not own the reatraurant, the slips or anything floating in the water. The city does not own the walk ramps or the concrete pads the ramps are fastened to. Where are you getting your information? Unless I'm mis-informed this is the case. Also I might add that the small slips in the East side on the South end of the marina were recently given to the marina and only the ramps and the small slips on the West side are owned by the city. My brother is a past employee of the marina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct and I stand corrected. The city has basically nothing to do with it. Eva's father owns it. So what was your brothers thoughts on the marina? Was he there when I was doing the sign?

      Delete
  6. I heard Hooters is going in down there soon. A local sign co. is going to put a tall steel post up that can be seen from downtown Florence and Hooters will supply the sign. Have you heard anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt this is true. But I did receive a phone call saying Stanfields Steakhouse was locating there. I would hope they are smarter than that.

      Delete
  7. I can also confirm that. Jimmy Ray Stanfield’s son and wife are opening it up . Jimmy Ray was the parks and recreation director for Florence back in the day. That sounds exciting. I hope they do good. I tried to eat at the Barge Inn but it was never open when I went there. I hope they close the bar or at least keep the drunks from hanging out there. The transient boaters like to enjoy a meal and drink without a bunch of do-rag-heads with their heads cocked sidewise looking up their ladies skirts. I would post a bouncer at the top of the ramp and throw their nasty ass in the river. Do you agree or not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the pleasure of knowing Jimmy Ray. I hope Stanfields really thinks this thing through. They won't be there long.

    ReplyDelete