Sunday, April 21, 2013

42 Years!!,.. Has It Really Been That Long?,….

42 years is a long time. For anything. Except a persons age. Well at 42 you may think you're old, but when you pass it and look back, 42 looks pretty good.

I’ve been smoking cigarettes for 42 years. I stopped to actually count it up yesterday. I should have stopped 20 years ago when I watched as my momma passed away from problems brought on by smoking. When she said that she would give everything she owned for one good breathe didn’t sink in at the time. But it is what it is now and it is time to quit. Well, at least try to.

I started smoking at an early age. Back when it was the cool thing to do. I started out sneaking my moms Winstons little by little and graduated to sell cold drink bottles, coke bottles, to supply my habit. Then I would cut yards during the summer to purchase them. I was 12. In todays world it might be harder for me at that age to buy them. But I’m guessing I could find a way.

I went from those Winstons to Kools. I liked the menthols. Then I think I went to Vantage Menthols, then Marlboro Menthols, Menthol Lights and finally Ultra Lights. Just because a cigarette is a light or ultra light version does not make them safer. There is no such thing as a safe cigarette. I’m not convinced the electronic ones are safe. They don’t feel right either. They are too heavy. But I’m not using those. I am trying Nicoderm CQ. Currently it is helping and I still have cravings. It hasn’t been 24 hours since my last one yet so there is really no success story to tell yet. But for a 2 pack a day smoker, it is a start.

One thing I don’t want to do is be like an uncle I had that smoked and quit. I’m glad he quit but every time you would see him he would literally preach to you about it. Yeah, I guess he cared but no one wanted to hear it. When a person, using myself as an example, decides to quit, they will. Harping on it won’t help. So with that said I hope I don’t do that. If I am successful, and I will be, and anyone wants to know how, what I did, shoot me an email and all I can tell you is what works for me. I’m guessing it is a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. What works for one might not work for another. But if anyone wants to quit, You’ll get support from me.

nicoderm-cq-16254_1

No comments:

Post a Comment