Sunday, August 18, 2013

Quitting Smoking,…………

Quitting-smokingWell I just looked and added the days. It has been 120 days since I last smoked. For the past 42 years I smoked cigarettes and enjoyed them. I could smoke one a mile long now, in two hits I think. But I have to keep my eye on the prize. That being, several things. Money saved is a big advantage of course as I was spending $15 plus a day for the habit. Health wise, I’m sure it has its advantages. I knew it wasn’t healthy when I was smoking. But, we all have to die of something. I also tried to be considerate of others while smoking. I probably wasn’t 100% of the time but I don’t remember blowing smoke into anyone's face.

Nicotine also kills computers, electronics and other appliances. Hopefully we won’t be replacing those things as often. I don’t know how many shirts I’ve had to throw away. Mostly white dress shirts but the sleeves facing the closet door would get stained and it won’t wash out.

120 days. Seems like a lifetime. It hasn’t been easy and I’m sure I haven’t been a lot of fun to be around at times. 120 days without a cig and coffee in the morning, a smoke on the way to work. An after dinner smoke,….. Do I miss it? Yeah, I do. Funny thing is I now have a sense of smell. When I come in close contact of someone who smokes, they literally stink. And this was me I’m sure before I stopped. I’m thinking,…. did I smell like that? More than likely I did,… I just didn’t realize it.

If you are thinking about quitting, there are programs available. Just Goggle quitting smoking. For me I had the Nicoderm patch. I think it helped but you have to want to. You have to get it into your mind this is what you are going to do. The patch for me was cheaper than smoking for a week so you can’t use the excuse they are expensive. The patch did break me out,… it caused minor skin irritation from the adhesive. But it has been worth it. What I did and still do is place some dollars into my coin jar on the fridge. This is my driving force and my prize. My reward. Keep your eye on the prize.

9 comments:

  1. Very proud of you!! Keep it up and soon you'll have a nice vacation or new car paid for in cash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just hang in there. I once knew a man who said he married a woman and didn't know she smoked. I asked how? He replied if you smoke yourself, you can't smell smoke residue on others. All the best, OB. You deserve a long and profitable life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! It has definitely been a struggle. And still is, but the rewards are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats OB you did a great job. Similarly, I also did that. When I quit smoking I started to chew more which increases my weight and I look yucky. Then one of mine friend suggests me best4ecigs e-cigarette starter kit, I used it and reduce my habit of chewing. With this E-cigarette, I used to do exercise which helps me get back my physic. This replacement helps me a lot. I live my life pleasantly and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it was hard, but you have reached a significant milestone. Best wishes for further success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words and tips. I didn't have the chew problem and really wanted to get away from anything that resembled a cigarette. So the electronic ones just didn't tickle my fancy. Glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete