Monday, July 21, 2014

Royal Bevis,… And His Purple Hearts,…..

purple-heart

Awarded for,… "Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces"

I know it isn’t close to Memorial Day or Veterans Day and it doesn’t have to be to remember a US Solder. Any day is a good day.

Several years ago we were working at the house of Royal and Mildred Bevis. Royal was an Army vet who had dementia. Mildred was a retired nurse from Wilson School. Both pleasant to work for but you could tell Royals mindset just wasn’t right as he asked the same questions over and over.

After about an hour of being in the house he must have felt okay with us being there. He told me to follow him. I did as he asked and we ended up in the master bedroom. On the dresser was a case and he handed it to me and told me to open it. I did and immediately knew what it was. He had been wounded in combat twice. He had two purple hearts. He proceeded to tell me he was wounded before D-Day and on D-Day.  Some of the particulars he admitted he couldn’t remember but he remembered he got them and was proud of them. I smiled and thanked him for his service. Five to ten minutes later we repeated the viewing of the Purple Hearts and the story. And again,… and for a fourth time. The story never got old,… But I did have to get back to work and Mildred knew that. She had him take a nap. Good folks that have since passed on. One served his country and she served students of Lauderdale County.

No comments:

Post a Comment