Friday, January 23, 2015

Memories Of MinneHaHa,…..

Capturemin
Growing up, we never knew what poor was. Well the kids didn’t, but I’m sure Mom knew. But we never went without stuff we needed. I’m sure there were things we asked for that we didn’t have,… but I honestly can’t think of anything. We were blessed with many things back then and life sure was a whole lot simpler. I think back to people who lived around us,… all are gone now. The Carroll’s next door. Mr. Carroll thought of my sister as a grandchild I think. And Mrs Carroll”s frameless glasses made her look the part of what I thought a grandmother should look like. Ella and Pete James lived on the other side of us. Daddy Pete and Moma Ella. Moma Ella lived to be 104 I think, surpassing my great grandmother, Nannie Cole who lived up the street, by 2 years. I used to go get Grandmother Cole’s laundry on Sunday nights after church so my grandmother, Gertrude, could wash them for her on Monday. Maude Smith lived across the street,… She and her grandson always did it up right for Halloween. Ross and Helen Balentine lived across the street too. Lauderdale St was a dirt road then that separated Mrs Smith’s house and the Balentines.
Helen’s parents lived two doora down,.. Mr and Mrs Chandler.  Good people. The Sledges lived next to them. I didn’t know them much but I remember Mr Sledge bringing a snapping turtle to the house, alive, and asking Grandmother if she wanted it to cook. She said yes and he killed and cleaned it for her. EDIT: My sister Trish remembered better than I did about the turtle,... her version is the correct one,... "That snapping turtle came from one of mothers co-workers husband. He dropped it off in a burlap bag on the front porch. That turtle sure was good to eat. Mr. Sledge just killed it for grandmother. She gave him half of the turtle."

Lets see,… Nanny Clark,… loved that lady. She seemed like she should have been kin. I was amazed at a coo coo clock she had. The Romines live just down from there. They were the parents of Mrs Elizabeth Romine who gave the city council fits years ago. She had a brilliant mind.
Fred Hendon, which many of you knew from church and from Florence City Schools lived up the street with his folks way back in the day. Great guy.
Hershel and Ruth Jackson had a big white house beside the Whites,… and sadly I cannot remember their names. I do remember them having a green house in the back and selling plants.
Passing through the old neighborhood,… it has all digressed to a sad state. Many of those houses I visited as a kid need to be torn down. It is sad to look at them now, knowing who used to live there. How they used to keep up their yards. They would honestly turn over in their graves if they knew. I hope they don’t know.
I was blessed,………..

9 comments:

  1. Loved your walk down memory lane! Did Mrs. Romine die? I remember her dealings with the Council! They didn't like her lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Whites were Vernon and Minnie. Great people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I could not remember. All we ever called them was Mr. and Mrs. People from all around would come to get their plants in the Spring.

      Delete
  3. Loved the story, our childhood was awesome and a blessing for sure! I think of it often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome. Simpler times for sure. But I just couldn't wait to be all grown up. Now I wish I could go back. It was close to Mayberry.

      Delete
  4. It was a great place to grow up - I still have my Grand-parents house at the other end of Minniehaha and I just found out that Mary Fields who lived next to them just pass away at age of 95.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was Jay,... I saw her obit in the paper,... sweet lady. I think we are just some of the few that can say we walked uphill to school both ways lol.

      Delete
  5. I remember those houses and that street well! I spent time at several of those houses. Helen Balentine was my mom's best friend. I spent a lot of time on "Papa" Chandler's front porch swing. You're right! They were good, kind people. It's so sad to think of that neat, well-kept neighborhood as being run down, but so is the house I grew up in a few streets away.

    ReplyDelete