Saturday, January 10, 2015

Quit Smoking,……….

StopSmokingpills
First, here is a link to help you to quit smoking,… AmericanCancerSociety
With that site you can learn how and what to do to quit smoking cigarettes.
Listed on the site are some benefits to quitting,…

When smokers quit – what are the benefits over time?

20 minutes after quitting
Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
    (Effect of smoking on arterial stiffness and pulse pressure amplification, Mahmud A, Feely J. Hypertension.2003:41:183)
12 hours after quitting
The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
    (US Surgeon General’s Report, 1988, p. 202)
2 weeks to 3 months after quitting
Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
    (US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp.193, 194,196, 285, 323)
1 to 9 months after quitting
Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) start to regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.
    (US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)
1 year after quitting
The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker’s.
    (US Surgeon General’s Report, 2010, p. 359)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other things that benefit you that aren’t even touched on at the website.  Clothing,… I don’t know how much clothing I have thrown away over the years because of nicotine stains. They will not wash out. I love a crisp white shirt,… but one without the nicotine stains on the sleeve facing the closet door. Money,.. you will save tons. And unlike what I first thought, I’d spend the money from cigarettes on other things,… I have been able to save a couple of dollars.
    The Nicoderm Patch helped me beyond belief. The system, while I only completed half of it, got me through the rough parts and I was able to quit an almost 40 year old habit. Also helping and giving me great support was that others quit with me. I wasn’t alone. I do think that was key. And my money jar.helped too. I would put almost as much into the jar that I would spend on cigarettes daily. I had to keep my eye on the prize so to speak.
    Now,.. I simply cannot stand to smell cigarettes lit or on the people that smoke them. It is a nasty addiction. A ,lot of people say it is a habit. Partly true, but it is mostly an addiction. I was addicted. I craved them while I was quitting. That craving has for the most gone away. Well 99.9% of the way, any way.
    Seriously,… you owe it to your family and friends to put the smokes down. But you owe it to yourself too. I can almost guarantee you will feel much better, smell and taste things better and breathe better. And you will smell better.













2 comments: