Saturday, April 4, 2015

Driving In The Shoals,…

Capture
This is a photo of the intersection at Wood Av and Pine St in Florence. This is where our work van got totaled out by a woman on a cell phone. I was driving and ended up straddling the concrete median in the middle of the picture. This was my view as I entered the intersection and an Oldsmobile Alero came through the traffic light and hit my front wheel, sending me over a full lane and over the concrete where the van struck the first guy wire causing it the snap and the end hit the windshield with the clamp attached. I look over to my left and a guy in a mini van asked if I was okay. If it hadn’t been for that guy wire, I would have hit him too. Thankfully no one was injured and also thankful there was an officer in an unmarked vehicle behind me that saw the whole thing.
Driving in the Shoals is an experience for sure. We do not know how to use turn signals. We do not know how to drive in a parking lot. Those lines are there for a reason. Treat them as streets and curbs. Don’t just cut through them. Driving on the Patton Island Bridge for those of you are tired of hearing Singing River Bridge like me, is crazy. The other morning the fog was thick. I’m driving at 50 mph because of the fog. The weather did not slow most drivers down as I was still passed as if I were sitting still. Some with no lights on either. I honestly don’t know why there aren’t more deaths on the roads in the Shoals area. I guess people here are just lucky. Because their driving skills are terrible.

6 comments:

  1. Glad no one was hurt! When did the accident happen? Did they ticket/arrest the woman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened in Oct,... I just haven't said anything until now. And no,.. they didn't ticket her to my knowledge.

      Delete
  2. There is no excuse for driving while on a cell phone. I'm sorry it happened to you, OB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,... and no there is no excuse for it. But whenever I look at drivers I pass or pass me, it seems like 80% , 8 out of 10 are on a phone.

      Delete
  3. My husband and I see it all the time, we take note every time we go out, we pass a car and say, that ones on the cell phone or that ones texting. Our cars has become a phone booth. I'm not saying I won't answer my phone but I have hands free driving and I'm not going to have a heart to heart conversation over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rarely is that cell phone call important enough to risk others and oneself.

    ReplyDelete