Sunday, July 26, 2015

My Second Home As A Kid,….

301

This is where I spent a lot of my time during the summers growing up. Michigan Av in Muscle Shoals. On my way to work at the cancer center in Muscle Shoals Saturday, I took the route down Michigan and came in the back way to the center. The house above belonged to my Auntie and Uncle Jim who were a big help to my mom growing up. They tried to teach me things, lessons, that to this day I still remember. I remember Auntie telling me to not eat paper because it was made from dirty socks. Uncle Jim trying to teach me to work a garden. To the right of the house was a big open field he would have what seemed at the time a 40 acre garden. It was large, but probably closer to 200 ft x 75 ft. Apparently at the time Clemson Spineless Okra had not been thought of yet because the hot summer sun, sweat and Alabama red clay made picking it no fun at all. The red clay also made digging potatoes a chore. One of which I absolutely hated.

We went here for several occasions. I remember close to one Thanksgiving,… I couldn’t have been maybe 6 or 7 playing football in the yard. I actually batted down a pass intended for Dennis Homan of Alabama and Dallas fame. Okay,… it was a bad pass around my knees,… I’m a kid so it was a low pass. But still!! I held my ground.

I remember riding my bike on that concrete sidewalk and drive and in the the back. Actually before the  Southgate Mall was built. And even after there were red clay hills to ride. I used to watch the dirt bikes climb them and get air born,… I was here at this house when Apollo landed on the moon in 1969.

Good memories of this house and the people in it. Gone are those hills we rode, the garden spot, the place Uncle Jim kept his beagles. Sandy, the family dog. And Auntie and Uncle Jim. I miss my second home.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. They sound like such wonderful folks to have had in your life.

    ReplyDelete