Friday, September 11, 2015

September 11, 2001,…. Where Were You?,….

septeleven

First,… I usually do my football prognosticating on Fridays, sometimes Thursdays, but sometimes there are more important things than football. Roll Tide Saturday,….

 

September 11, 2001, and what happened that day is my generations Pearl Harbor. 2977 Americans died because of a terrorist attack. In,… our,… country. 6000 plus were injured. There is no known number for those it directly affected. Family members, friends, even just social acquaintances were impacted that day.  We stood and watched the horror of that day as it unfolded. Where were you? I had two second cousins in NYC at the time. One closer than the other to the trade center but still, the fear of the unknown for a while was rampant in our minds.

I remember going to the job site that day. A new house near the Point Restaurant out River Road. The radio was on the John Boy and Billy show. The time I do not remember but I think I was a little late. One of the people in the studio said something to the effect that a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center. They apparently had a television in the studio as they began giving details of what they saw. They, like myself just thought it to be an accident. Then,… the second plane hit and almost immediately the thoughts of terrorism hit home with the guys on the radio and myself. What is happening? We didn’t know.

Getting to the site, the carpenters and our crew were listening to the radio as well. Not many words were spoken as we listened to reports coming in about other possible planes,… one down in a field and the hit on the Pentagon. My first thought was to get home so we could check on kids and family. I think schools let out early, but not for sure on that. I do remember needing to get home because what if there was an attack on Wheeler or Wilson dam. Or any of the dams in the system upstream from us. We simply had to get on the other side of the river.  Yes, this was most definitely one of those times that you remember where you were and what you were doing.

2 comments:

  1. This many years later...the memory does not fade. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete