Friday, August 12, 2016

RIP Seven Points Greg,...


He was dubbed Seven Points Greg almost from the moment he first sat on the bench. A bench that was removed because people that think too highly of themselves, didn't think Greg should be sitting on it. I'm reminded of a Bible verse,... Hebrews 13:2, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers. For thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

I knew when he asked for a couple of dollars, what he probably wanted with it. I didn't care. He wanted a ride one day, so I gave it to him and let him out at his house. He most always had a smile and something to say that would make your mind go deep in thought and have to think about what he just said.

He will no longer sit on the corner at the intersection and wave to passersby. He won't be there for the ones who purchased a burger or drink for him. He was pretty well taken care of on that corner, except by those people that think too highly of themselves and remove benches. Shame on you.

Rip Seven Points Greg. You will be missed.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this. We never went through 7-Points that we didn't see him and wonder what his story was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He had a great sense of humor. I had passed him many times a few years ago on my way to painting class. The first time I saw him he was fishing in Wood Avenue from his bench. Later I stopped one Saturday and asked him if I could photograph him. he replied, "Sure. Do you want me to take my clothes off?" I answered in the same spirit that it was really hot, but not that hot. I believe that I captured his humor and twinkle in his eye in the painting. It is still one of my favorites and hangs in my office. I took the painting with me but never found him when I had the painting. I am so sorry he never saw it. Polly Powell Marsh, Lawrenceburg TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polly what a great story.
    If you would like to share a photo of the painting that would be great. If you like you can email me at original1bama@comcast.net. I would share that here and somehow, I think Mr Brown would see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I will share in a blog probably tomorrow. You did an amazing job,... it is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gave this man a cpl blankets one year....said good morning to him everyday for years...Gonna miss seeing him down there...May he find a comfortable spot to sit now! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. We kenew him for years, we saved cans for him, he would take the hometown market shopping carts.. Leave thrpem on our lawn. We took them back.. He would geta bit Fresh with me and wiggle his touge and wink.. I would say Greg, what would your wife say about that? My husband gave him rides to the recycle place and tell him about Jesus. Greg had a rough life., i pray he gave his heart to Jesus, if he did, he is so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your husband shared Jesus with him!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, OB, for posting this about Mr. Brown. He was just part of 7 points...it will be a very long time that I don't pass through on my way to work and think of him.

    ReplyDelete