Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mama Told Me,....


Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.

The opening lines of Lynyrd Shynyrd’s Simple Man holds a special place in my heart. It always has even back before she passed away.
The words ring truer today than they did all those many years ago because now, I wish I had listened more to what she had to say. Now I wish I could sit beside her and now, I’m a little more wise than when I was a kid and thought I knew all about life. But now, looking back, these words have helped me on sunny days and cloudy days. Mama tried to instill values in us growing up and she not only taught us with words, she lead by example. She lived the words she spoke.
Mama sacrificed everything to raise us up the right way. She taught us morals, about God, to respect others and how to just be good people. I haven’t always adhered to her teachings and I was a disappointment to her in many ways. But her love for me never changed. 
You know, people tell you that when someone dies, the pain gets better,…. it doesn’t really. After twenty five years, the same pain is still there, the missing her is just as strong and in reality, I don’t want that to go away.  I was blessed to have her as a mother and a friend, Even though when I had to go get my own switch, she wasn’t very friendly. 
Looking outside right now it is a little cloudy,… but memories of mama makes it a sunshiny day.


Go hug your mama or call her and tell her you love her if you are still blessed to be able to. There may come a time when you can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment